Monday, October 24, 2011

Honey Chicken Stir Fry


There is nothing more satisfying than making Stir Fry dishes at home.  Don't get me wrong, I love Chinese take out but when you can make delicious dishes like this at home, skip the take out and serve your family a healthier, tasty meal.  

Chicken is a regular staple in my house.  But, I'm always wanting to try different chicken recipes.  Different flavors and cooking methods is what keeps things fresh and interesting.  Honey Garlic Chicken is one of my family's favorite  Chinese take out meals.  I found this Honey Chicken Stir Fry recipe on the food website Tasty Kitchen.  We all really enjoyed this dish.  I increased the recipe to  6 servings for the 4 of us and there was just enough left over for my husband to take for lunch the next day.  

***There are so many recipe resources and places for inspiration.  For more chicken recipe ideas, check out Reader's Digest chicken recipe section.***  


Honey Chicken Stir Fry

Servings: 6

Ingredients

4 large egg whites
2/3 cup cornstarch or flour (I used cornstarch)
3/8 cup olive oil (I used about 1/3 cup total)
1 1/2 - 2 cups broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups sugar snap peas (snow peas can be substituted)
1/8 cup soy sauce (I used 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 - 2 lbs thin sliced, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup honey
salt and pepper

Preparation

Prepare and slice vegetables.  Place 4 egg whites in a small bowl and beat lightly. In another small bowl or plate, add cornstarch.  Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Add vegetables to skillet and season lightly with salt and pepper.  Saute vegetables for about 5 minutes until softened.  Add soy sauce and garlic to veggies and stir until coated, about 1 minute.  Remove veggies from skillet and set aside.

Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces, season with salt and pepper.  Heat the same skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil to coat pan.  Dip chicken pieces in egg whites and then lightly dredge in cornstarch.  Add chicken to the skillet in batches and let brown 2-3 minutes, then flip and brown other side.  When chicken is cooked, remove to plate and continue in batches until all the chicken is cooked.  Add some more olive oil to pan with each batch.

Once all the chicken is cooked place the chicken and the vegetables back in skillet.  Add honey and mix thoroughly to combine.  Taste and season with salt, pepper, additional honey or soy sauce, if needed.  Serve with rice.  (I used Jasmine Rice)

(Click here to print original recipe). You can change the serving size to your needs.

Disclosure:  This is a compensated post from Reader's Digest to highlight their chicken recipe site and to share their link with my readers.  All writings are my own thoughts and opinions.



Saute some healthy vegetables...broccoli, red pepper and sugar snap peas



Enjoy!

Mom's Cooking Club Lesson:  This dish has a couple of steps to it but you can make it easier on yourself. Cut your vegetables, measure your liquids and have your chicken cut up and coated before you begin the cooking process.  I try to have everything in the order I'm going to use them.  Stir frying is a pretty quick  cooking method so prepping ahead is always a good idea.

  
Share

6 comments:

Patsyk said...

Stir-fry is a great weeknight meal... but, you are right - it's best to prep everything before you get started! Looks delicious!

Melanie said...

Your honey chicken stir-fry looks delicious! What a great easy meal!

Aggie said...

this looks great! I love stir fry. And yes, prep before!!

Leah said...

This looks delicious. I was just talking about trying homemade stir fry! Now, I think I will. Thanks!

Shelby said...

Sounds like something that could be a quick, easy and YUMMY weeknight meal!

Ika Devita Susanti said...

It looks delicious and easy. I definitely will try this recipe. Thank you for sharing. :)

 
Blog Design By: Sherbet Blossom Designs